Yes, indeed friends, welcome to Season 2. This is episode Triple-X, and it would be wrong not to honor that numeral designation with a talk about sex. There’s an ocean of possible targets here, so we’ve narrowed our focus how we and some of our favorite authors use sex to advance plot.
Mentions from Episode 30:
Early influences in sex scenes:
- I, Cleopatra by William Bostock
- Shogun – James Clavell
- Robert Heinlein
- Hints in McCaffrey – I liked the Dragonriders of Pern even with mild sex
- Richard Adams – Shardik and Maia in particular
- Eric Van Lustbader (Seriously, Jeannie asks? That’s not a pen name?)
- Stieg Larsson
- Clan of the Cave Bear series by Jean Auel
- Andy Offutt
- A Boy and his Dog – Harlan Ellison
- Gail Carriger – Started off fantasy romance – is it moving into the next section? We know sex sells and Romance is hot
- Neither Chaz, Jeannie, nor any of the others are giving you links to their porn. Find it on your own.
Some writers seem to have gone over into soft (okay, not soft…) porn styles:
- Emma Holly
- Laurel Hamilton – Although Jeannie says in Book 8 of Anita Blake there’s no orgies
- Jacquelin Carey
- Zoe Chant – Although Jeannie likes shapeshifter romance porn
- John Norman – Really? A philosophy major?
Movies and TV:
- Betty Blue – The sex in the beginning is a lie; NOT a date movie
- Zach & Miri Make a Porno – sure, there’s sex. It’s a comedy
- My Dad Wrote a Porno – Podcast
- My Father the Pornographer – Andy Offutt’s kid Chris
- The Expanse – there’s some debate here whether the same graphic sex is in the books as they threw in the TV series. Jeannie will ask Franck and Abraham
1 thought on “Episode 30 – Not Safe For Work”
“… narrowed our focus how we and some of our favorite authors use sex to advance plot.”
Bwaa ha ha ha!
Sure we did.