Here we are, all safely quarantined. How do we stay focused on our creativity? How do we keep creating art? Can we use these current events as inspiration for characters, for scenarios, for plot points? I think we can. Have a cup of coffee with John and Jeannie as they chat on the topic of creativity in a stifling, stressful environment.
Mentions from Episode 39:
- Love in the time of Cholera
- In Flanders Fields
- An interesting paper on the topic of demonizing the enemy ala Tolkien (who disagrees with us on the topic of who the orcs/hobbits were)
- Jean-Paul Sartre
- Ferrets vs Weasels (neurosis vs psychosis)
- The Psychology of TP
- Social Anxiety explained
- Feed by Mira Grant (Seanan McGuire’s pen name) (The whole series is lovely)
- John Ringo’s Strands of Sorrow
- Logan’s Run
- How to make Zabaglione
- The Diary of Anne Frank
- The Mask of the Red Death
- The Pomodoro Technique (again)
- Summer in Orcus
O Me! O Life! By Walt Whitman
Oh me! Oh life! of the questions of these recurring,
Of the endless trains of the faithless, of cities fill’d with the foolish,
Of myself forever reproaching myself, (for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light, of the objects mean, of the struggle ever renew’d,
Of the poor results of all, of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me,
Of the empty and useless years of the rest, with the rest me intertwined,
The question, O me! so sad, recurring—What good amid these, O me, O life?
That you are here—that life exists and identity,
That the powerful play goes on, and you may contribute a verse.
Your voices are important, my darlings. Your creative projects are all worthwhile and wonderful. Create beautiful things in this time of trouble!