David Drake picked up writing, so he says, as a therapy for his time spent riding tanks around Vietnam and Cambodia. But what started as short stories ended up as a brilliant and far-reaching career that explored historic fantasy, horror, sci fi, and everything in between. Whether you love Roman legions, Byzantine politics, or Space Opera that combines the spirits of each, Drake has something for you – all his characters are exquisitely human and complex.
Also Jeannie has a fangirl squee on for hover tanks.
- David’s Website
- David was a Town Attorney, in the Town of Chapel Hill
- Shout out to his Latin translations!
- Hammer’s Slammer’s (the game)
- Cross the Stars
Mentions from Episode 98:
- Citizen Series with John Lambshead
- Charles Platt
- Manly Wade Wellman
Essays and examples
- Major Steuben
- How does he do plotting? Motorcycle rides, and then plenty of long walks for inspiration and to clear his head. A sample David Drake plot outline
- David has a story in recent release Weird World War III, edited by Sean Patrick Hazlett
“For any writer, you’ve gotta be disciplined in many ways.”David Drake