Today we invited in an intellectual privacy lawyer to talk to everyone about copyright, privacy, trademarks, and how to avoid treading on the rules and laws about them. What is fair use argument? How does parody fit in? Is Fan Fic legal?
Mentions in Episode 6:
- Judith Szepesi
- HIP Legal
- How to register a copyright
- Registering a trademark
- What is fair use?
- The Four Factors of Fair Use
- The OJ Simpson + Cat in the Hat parody court case
- The court notes because Jeannie is a geek
- Weird Al Yankovic – Amish Paradise
- Twitter – #Cockygate thread
- Micky Mouse Operation – Jeannie proves that MM has been a common adjective
- Star Trek Fan Film got sued and settled
- The Star Wars Fan Film: Vader, had a similar fight, but it didn’t go to court
- Placeholder for where Jeannie refuses to link to anything remotely resembling fifty shades of twilight.
- Aleksandr Voinov
- The Beekeeper’s Apprentice
- Mr. Holmes – the movie
- Sherlock Holmes – Consulting Detective (gamebook)
Official Disclaimer – Although a brilliant lawyer sounded off on these topics, until you pay a lawyer a retainer they are not offering you legal advice. This webcast was merely people sitting and talking about interesting legal topics in publishing and content.
Unofficial advice would be “Always read your contracts before you sign them.”